Wednesday, November 17, 2010

14th Blog (Holocaust Poem With My Buddy)

Bloggers bloggers bloggers! In the class of R8A, we're paired up with grade 5 buddies who we see once a week, and we do fun stuff together. Today, me and my buddy, Livia were in the computer lab, and we had to create a poem about the Holocaust that expressed freedom. Click here for the assignment info. Before I show you me and Livia's poem, I will show you a poem that helped  my class with this assignment. It's called "The Butterfly" and it's by Pavel Friedmann.

The last, the very last,
So richly, brightly, dazzlingly yellow.
Perhaps if the sun’s tears would sing
against a white stone. . . .

Such, such a yellow
Is carried lightly ‘way up high.
It went away I’m sure because it wished to
kiss the world good-bye.

For seven weeks I’ve lived in here,
Penned up inside this ghetto.
But I have found what I love here.
The dandelions call to me
And the white chestnut branches in the court.
Only I never saw another butterfly.

That butterfly was the last one.
Butterflies don’t live in here,
in the ghetto.

Now onto me and Livia's poem. Now since the poem shown above is called "The Butterfly", we thought that since it was titled a creature that symbolized the poem, and the poem that we had to do had to express freedom, we should title our poem a creature that symbolizes freedom. So, we titled it "The Bird", because birds fly away and are free. Also, when you read the first line, it meant that the people during the Holocaust would have to go to the ghetto, and the ghetto was packed full of people. It's short and sweet, so here it is. "The Bird" by Me and Livia.

Crowded, crowded,
I only have a little space.
I want to be a bird and fly away,
To a place,
Where there's freedom and peace.

There you have it. I hope you bloggers were empathic reading both of these poems. Take the time to think about the devastating things that went on in the world. For example, the Holocaust, segregation or wars. Please feel free to comment. Thank you, and have a good day!

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

I really liked your poem! (: