Monday, October 18, 2010

7th Blog (Island Man: Work With It)

Bonjour bloggers! Today, my class got a poem, and we had to do a little response to it. Click here for more info! Here is the poem and my response. ENJOY!

Island Man (for a Caribbean island man in London who still wakes up to the sound of the sea)
by Grace Nichols
.
Morning
and island man wakes up                                                                        
to the sound of blue surf
in his head
the steady breaking and wombing                         
wild seabirds
and fishermen pushing out to sea
the sun surfacing defiantly
from the east
of his small emerald island
.
He always comes back
groggily groggily
comes back to sands                                                                     
of a grey metallic soar
to a surge of wheels
to dull North Circular roar
muffling muffling
his crumpled pillow waves
island man heaves himself
another London day

I would most likely want to wake up lying on a hammock at the beach, because I would get more sleep there, and it would feel so relaxing. You would hear the sound of waves splashing continuously, and you would feel the palm trees slowly swaying in the breeze, so the temperature won't be too hot, or won't be too cold, but just right. Also, you wouldn't have to worry about school or work, and you would just enjoy yourself. That's the best part!

There's my response, hope you enjoyed it! As you could see, I highlighted most of the poem in Italics, because to me, when I first read this poem (I didn't see the title then), it seemed a bit like a mystery that you had to figure out. So you had all these clues in the poem, like "the island man wakes up to the sound of blue surf in his head". So then you could put all the pieces together and realize that even though the Caribbean island man was thinking about the Caribbean, the Caribbean island man wasn't in the Caribbean, he was in London. Thanks again for visiting, and I hope you enjoyed the poem. Please feel free to comment. Have an excellent day! 

1 comment:

Shauna Pollock said...

Well done, Melissa! I like the place where you'd like to wake up. I would also be happy to wake up in a hammock on a beach!

Can you edit your post and link back to mine?

Thanks,
Miss P