Wednesday, October 13, 2010

5th Blog (Behind my Name: Melissa)

Welcome back bloggers! My class has been asked to do another assignment. This time, our class had to go to this website, behind the name, and find out the history of your name. 

Before I started this assignment, I thought my name Melissa meant honeybee, because I checked on Wikipedia to get ready for my "flair" presentation, and also that's what my parents told me  that my name meant. I think my parents chose this name for me because, here's the thing,  my family had different names that they wanted to give me. One, for example being "Gabrielle", but other family members thought it was so weak, because my sister's name is "Abigail" and our nicknames would be "Abby" and "Gabby" and that would've been cheesy, so they had to come up with a name that everyone would like, and so "Melissa" came up and everyone liked it, so that's what they named me. After searching on behind the name, what I thought my name meant was the correct meaning. According to that website, my name, "Melissa" means bee or honeybee in Greek. In Greek mythology, it was the name of one of the nymphs, which in mythology is a nature goddess, who took care of baby Zeus by feeding him honey. When I first found that out, I thought it was SO cute! I also found out that my name was the name of a fairy in a 1516 Italian poem called, "Orlando Furioso" and the fairy helps someone escape from an evil witch. When I found that out, I thought I should find a copy of that poem and check it out, and when I do, I will blog about it. I also checked out baby names, and one thing I found out that I thought was cool was that in America, my name was really big in 1970's and 1980's and was the #2 name from 1977-1979. I think my name suits me, because I like the colours, yellow and black and my family thinks that I'm "sweet as honey". If I could give myself a new name, it would be "Melody", because most of you guys know that I'm very musical, I love to sing, etc, and since that name is music-related, that would be so cool to have for a name. I don't think I would want to change my name though, because I love "Melissa", it's a beautiful name.

There you have it, you have just discovered things you didn't know about my name. Try finding out some history about your name. Thank you again for visiting my blog. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving! Please feel free to comment. Have an outstanding day!    

4 comments:

Shauna Pollock said...

Great post, little Honeybee! You write beautifully and I like how your blogging is pushing you to express yourself even more than in class discussions. Great work!

Mrs. Leach said...

What a great blog entry, Melissa. I'm one of Miss Pollock's classmates in an online course we're taking and she was sharing about your class's blogs. I had to look at yours because my daughter's name is Melissa and since I love the name so much I clicked on your blog. How funny it was when I got to read about the real meaning of your name! I am going to show this to my daughter, who also happens to be in grade 8 at my school. You write very well and with no mistakes! Very impressive. If you're used to MSN and texting and such, you get used to short forms and slang but you didn't use any of that. Great job!

jumanh said...

hey mellisa please come check out the post i just did

Anonymous said...

Hi. I really like your blog. My name is Hebrew and it means beautiful.
-Naomi C. 8BS