Monday, June 6, 2011

37th Post (Where Children Eat And Sleep)

It's been another long while since I posted something, eh bloggers? I've been busy on this last month of school before I graduate! I have another geography assignment. I have to write a reflection about what children eat and where children sleep in the fictional country that I have created. I'm writing in first person, portraying a thirteen year old kid named Josoa from the town of Asali (Honey in Swahili. My name is honeybee in Greek, so I thought that honey and bees can be two significances for my country.) in my fictional country named Melburkie which is located in Africa. Click here for more assignment information. Well, here's my geography assignment, I hope you enjoy!

Hi, my name is Josoa. I'm 13 years old, and I live with my parents, younger brother and sister in a small town in Melburkie named Asali. Me and my family live in a small house. Outside my house, we grow our own fruits and vegetables from our tiny garden, but our main food that we grow is corn, and the town of Asali is known for their beekeeping, so we buy honey from the bees as well as a bag of rice that will last the family for about half the year, and we hardly eat any meat, only on special occasions. Some national dishes are Ganzasali, which is puffed rice with honey extract and Asalikornrole, which is a honey-flavoured corn casserole made with corn meal and vegetables. My family's favourite dish is the Loafamie, which is Melburkie-style corn bread with Asali Pidd, which is a honey based dip. Everyday, our family doesn't eat very much, but we always have enough to survive, and not starve to death.  
I have to share a room with my younger brother and sister. My younger brother and sister get a bunk bed and I get a sleeping bag, because in the town of Asali, we're only allowed to have two beds per household, because the government can't afford a bed for everyone due to all of the town's money going to more important things, like an education and food. So there's one uncomfortable bed for my parents in one small room, and then the unsupported bunk beds for my younger siblings along with my sleeping bag in a smaller room. My back hurts sometimes, but I'm used to it, I   always want the best for my family. My school is about three minutes away from my house, so I walk there with my younger siblings everyday to learn about work, education and prayer. I enjoy going to school, playing sports, especially soccer with my friends and helping my family. When I grow older, I want to be a professional soccer player, take part in FIFA and win the World Cup, so I can do what I love, and use the money that I make to help my family back home, so they can live a better life.

Well there you have it, my blog assignment is complete! If you made up a country, where would it be? What would it be like there? Please feel free to comment. Thank you, and have a good day! School will be over before you know it!

1 comment:

Shauna Pollock said...

Fantastic work here Melissa! I like that you wrote from a first person point of view. Even though the family you described experiences poverty, they still seem pretty happy.